Monday, February 2, 2009

Day 154 gets it

Photobucket
In October 6th 40th Anniversary Issue of New York Magazine (I'm a dedicated, semi-obsessed reader), composer Nico Muhly answers the question "What makes someone a New Yorker?" with "getting the joke". I love the quote because I totally buy into that mentality. It's close to impossible to describe what it is about the city that I love so much but it just energizes me. The old cliche that about being in a relationship with New York still holds true. I just feel something when I'm here. I notice it in the very small, mundane things. Last night I got on the 1 train at 225th and there were these brand-new seats just trying to fit in with the rest of the train. For as long as I've been visiting New York (literally since I was in utero) and certainly since I've been living here, subway seats have been those same shades of yellow, orange, and oranger. There's nothing wrong with blue seats in theory but the fact they tried to slip them as replacements is just funny. Somehow I can't explain it, but I just thought it was hysterical.

1 comment:

Aislinn said...

so what you're saying is that you got the joke?

ps. my most favorite post of yours ever.