Thursday, January 22, 2009

Day 142 has a drinking problem


We moved into a new house with my mom when I was in eighth grade and I set up about decorating my room. It was always a work in progress and I never quite got it right. My best idea was to hang glass bottles from the ceiling and put white Christmas lights inside. I thought it was the coolest thing and custom-made for and by me. The biggest challenge was getting just the right bottles. Each one needed to not only look cool but have an interesting story to tell. I set about finding just the right ones (dumpster-diving on several occasions) and forced my friends and family to buy and drink only certain beverages so I could use the bottles. Sobe and Snapple Elements were the best and Arizona Iced Tea was a close third. We moved several times since that house and the bottled never managed to make it back up onto a ceiling in any of my other rooms. For years now we've carted around a giant box of my glass bottles and (since we just moved again this week) I found them and had to officially say goodbye. I don't think there are any pictures of my bottle masterpiece but here, preserved for all eternity, is my sacred collection just before I let them go.

1 comment:

Ro said...

we are more a like than i could ever have imagined. I too save trash for a long time. i still havn't let my collection go although i did organize and clean some out over the past year. we are amazing, i can't believe we have never shred our facination with recyclables before.