Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Day 127 still likes the view


You know how I'm a sucker for a view or a city skyline at night or... windows. Tonight the cast of Dirty Dancing hosted an event to benefit the Joffrey Ballet Company's brand spankin' new Academy of Dance. I was the stage manager for the event and it was a huge success (those two statements are not related). We rehearsed and teched all afternoon and performed tonight at the Joffrey. I've passed the building a million times and admired the dance studios from outside on the sidewalk but being inside was incredible. It's a beautiful building with amazing performance spaces and it was thrill to run around inside all day. We used one of their performance studios for the event and an adjoining rehearsal studio for backstage space. The performance studio was covered with heavy black drapes to keep out the light from the streets. I'd spent many hours working in the dark before I stepped into the rehearsal studio with it's floor-to-ceiling windows. It was literally breath-taking. Being up above the lights of State Street and seeing the Chicago Theatre sign at eye-level is awe-inspiring. This picture truly doesn't do it justice but I was so amazed by the view and excited to be back in any kind of performance space that I wanted to share this. It was a really great day for me.

No comments: