Monday, March 9, 2009

day 190: getting some perspective

i'm not gonna lie, this is about to become one of my favorite pictures to date. It's not particularly spectacular in terms of technique and just general "wow, what a great picture", but I love it anyway.


14th Street/Union Square station is a rat maze almost like 42nd street, except, smaller (if that makes sense). I was New York speed walking my way through the station this evening, in my own head - thinking, humming, spacing, etc... and i just kind of looked to the left and came upon this. It's obviously been here for years I've just never noticed it. New York knows how to surprise me like that... keep me on my toes.

This wall goes on and on and on. Which is tragic and compelling. The names are just always here. I don't know if it's all new yorkers who died in 9/11, but it must be. Its a beautiful memorial because it's simple, shocking and stoic. It also made me stop rushing and running into people and just take a breath and get some perspective.


enjoy!

No comments: