Sunday, March 8, 2009

day 189: art history

when i had to take AP art history in high school, I resisted it with almost every part of my being. I hated history, I hated studying, I hated GIANT textbooks that weighed more than I did and I hated learning (not really, but go with it). It ended up being one of the most rewarding and interesting classes i've ever taken to date. That being said.... architecture of greek and roman cultures was one of my favorite sections. you can't really appreciate and learn about its intricacies and how far its influences spread in a single chapter, but beautiful columns like this make me smile. its remarkable that a style of construction from however many centuries ago found its way all the way over to us, and in this instance, to this lovely church (?) on Tremont Ave. in good ol' Boston.

No comments: