Thursday, July 23, 2009

Day 324 brought to you by the letter S


Grammar and spelling are important. Always. I believe this wholeheartedly. I have an admittedly annoying tendency to correct mistakes when others make them. I'm aware of it and I'm sorry to those who take offense, but learn the rules! One of my mom's friends used to carry around a red sharpie and correct public signs when she found a mistake. I'm not that bad but I'd like to use today's post to discuss the oft-misunderstood apostrophe.

This little guy is a tricky little fellow. He denotes possession or a contraction. Only. It should never be used when the item is plural. Therefore, it can be "Elie's tortas", meaning they belong to Elie, or "Elie's got the tortas", meaning HE HAS got them. Clear? An apostrophe as it's used on this menu begs the question "What does the torta own?" (Note that "Burritos" is apostrophe-free.) (Apostrofree?) If I ever catch any of you with an apostrophe in a plural word, I may have to ban you from the Pho. Don't think I won't.

Ps. Extra points if you noticed that "deluxe" is missing an E and "crab" swapped in a K.

1 comment:

The DJF said...

The apostrophe is a little guy that likes to sneak in and ruin things. I have a question though: words or names that end in S; when possessive I've seen an extra S after the apostrophe and no extra S. Which is correct? I use the NO extra S rule, is that right?